As I try and get the last few posts up before I make the blog public, I’ve run into a few interesting problems.
One problem was unexpected experiment results.
I decided to start with a simple experiment for the experiment section. Measuring the size difference between ironing seams open versus ironing to the side. On a lark, I went ahead and took measurements of my seams before I ironed them. I thought it would be interesting to see how much ironing flattened everything . . . . well . . . it didn’t. My measurements actually increased. The change increase was tiny (about 0.00057″) so no big deal. It’s nothing you would notice with the naked eye, but the results were very surprising.
It doesn’t make sense, but I took multiple measurements. I took 9 different measurements along each seam so I could average out human error.
So the seam width experiment is on pause while I get a better understanding of what happened. I’m currently measuring different threads and fabrics to see how they respond to being ironed. These are the most basic parts of my experiment that I can easily measure separately.
Now, this has very little practical use for quilters, but it will help me understand other results in later experiments. My Nosy little soul isn’t happy just knowing the numbers, I want to understand what is going on.
I’ve already measured 8 different brands of threads and then ironed them to see what happens. I put an order in for Craftsy’s new thread this morning so I will have all the major brands covered.
The second problem is I’m going to have to work on is staying focused.
I already have about 20 different experiments I want to run.
Experiments are about answering questions. Some of my experiments (such as the seam width one I was just talking about) will create new questions. It can be hard for me to finish the original experiment before eagerly jumping off to explore the new questions. Focus, focus, focus.
And even trickier, sometimes it might make more sense to work on the new questions/experiment first. That way I can better understand the results for the original experiment. The better I understand, the easier it will be for me to explain it simply for other. It’ll be fun figuring this all out as we go along.
I think the most practical approach for me is to start with more of the basics and build up from there. It will also make it easier to link to previous posts to help explain more complicated experiments.
Sew Curious, Evie